Monday

A reminder for the times we're in...

DSC_0381

DSC_0392

DSC_0383

DSC_0388

I use every resource at my disposal to identify this heron whose image I captured as he waded in and out of the water and snatched a blue-tipped damselfly out of the air.

Every bird identification tool I use confirms he's a tricolored heron -- from the white plume on his head to his overall contrasting plumage, but that yellow on his chest and abdomen throws me. Every resource I've referenced indicates that plumage should be white, not yellow, yet, he's clearly a tricolored heron.

Several years ago, we visited a church where we were warmly greeted by a gentleman wearing a kilt and whose graying hair was fashioned into two long braids that hung down to his waist. It was an introduction to a church and worship service that was foreign to us in many ways.

We recognized elements in this church that were clearly Christian - from the pastor's gospel-centered message to the music and order of worship, but other characteristics, though not contrary to Scripture, were simply outside our experiences and the Christian worship service form we knew. 

There are a multitude of differences in how Christians dress and work and live and worship that are outside our individual experiences, but there's one distinction that should set me apart and by which I should be known.  
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
John 13:34-35
[A dusted off re-post]