Monday

Monday morning quotes and musings...

...and of course painted buntings and other feathery friends. It is, after all, spring on Pollywog Creek.

Male Painted Bunting

The message in church yesterday was on surrendering, and as we examined our lives in the light of that message from scripture we were given an opportunity to acknowledge our unsurrendered places in writing and leave them at the foot of the cross. In that symbolic moment of worship, I remembered this quote I had read earlier in the week...
Our task is to take time each day to remember these truths about ourselves, and to live accordingly. If we have crucified the flesh (which we have), then we must leave it securely nailed to the cross, where it deserves to be; we must not finger the nails. And if we live in the Spirit (which we do), then we must walk by the Spirit. So when the tempter comes with evil insinuations, we must round on him savagely, and say to him: 'I belong to Christ. I have crucified the flesh. It is altogether out of the question that I should even dream of taking it down from the cross.' Again, 'I belong to Christ. The Spirit dwells within me. So I shall set my mind on the things of the Spirit and walk by the Spirit, according to His rule and line, from day to day.' - John Stott, Galatians, p. 154
HT-Vitamin Z

Saturday Birds

And isn't it interesting that the subject of the devotional reading for yesterday in Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest was "The Surrendered Life". My favorite part of that reading was the very last sentence....
And God will then equip you to do all that He requires of you.
Painted Buntings

In my quiet time this morning on the swing outside - with goldfinches and painted buntings and cardinals and mockingbirds and woodpeckers all vying for my attention - I was particularly impressed again with Oswald Chambers in the reading for today...
We must continually maintain an adventurous attitude toward Him, despite any potential personal risk. All that is required is to live a natural life of absolute dependence on Jesus Christ. Never try to live your life with God in any other way than His way. And His way means absolute devotion to Him. Showing no concern for the uncertainties that lie ahead is the secret of walking with Jesus.
What about you? Did you read something in your quiet time today that spoke directly to your heart?