Thursday

Letter from Mimi's Backyard::Introduction




Yesterday morning I mustered just enough determination and stamina to leave the air-conditioned comfort of my living room for a long walk through the high grass and soggy ground in the pasture. I'm not complaining, just (re)stating a fact: I do not like being outdoors in the summer on Pollywog Creek, and God will have to totally recreate my metabolism and give me new knees for that to change. (Update 2014: I have new knees but the same intolerance for heat and humidity I was born with.)

It could happen. Until then, I'll simply persevere. The commitment I made to my little flock is infinitely more important than my comfort, and it's difficult to write a letter from my "backyard" if I don't actually go out there. (If you haven't a clue what I am talking about, you'll probably want to read "my little flock...") Before yesterday, I hadn't spent much time in the pasture in weeks. The hard freezes and long winter drought left little behind to attract me, but the rainy season arrived with frequent and heavy downpours that quickly nourished the barren ground. As I looked out over the pasture dotted with wildflowers and flittering butterflies, I felt as though God had met me at the door - beckoning me along with His delightful beauty, shady spots under the tall pines and a slight breeze that helped me overcome the oppressive humidity for over an hour in the bright mid-morning sun. The first "letter from Mimi's backyard" is inspired not only by that walk through the pasture, but other encounters with nature this week. It will be posted tomorrow.

I recently removed the baby gate to the kitchen and study to give Gavin more freedom when he is here - but that means, of course, that the cat and I will now have less. So far, the only boundaries he has tested have been the refrigerator and the computer in the study, but since he was here a week ago, I've worked to make a corner of the study (opposite the computer) more attractive to a 2 1/2 year old boy. We'll see if it works.

The stories, photos, coloring pages and resource links in each of the "letters" I hope to post here on Pollywog Creek will not necessarily be the same ones that I include in future books, "Consider the birds" and "Consider the flowers", but will flow from our current family life experiences, as well as the nature scenes my simple point-and-click camera captures during the week.

The coloring pages are at best crude. Without a quality program like photoshop, I am limited to the free photo software that came with my ancient computer. Tomorrow I am posting two possible coloring pages and would appreciate any constructive criticism you are able to make that will improve the quality and ease of use for your little flock, as well as mine. Many thanks to all of you who left kind comments with other wonderful suggestions for how I can stay connected with my grands in Texas.
"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." ~ Luke 12:32