Friday

First Friday::October 2009::"We're not here for the_________"

"We're not here for the food." I reminded my friend as we surveyed the menu board on the wall. It wasn't that the cafe's offerings were bad, it's just that we would have chosen a different restaurant if we had been expecting finer cuisine. We weren't there for the food. "It's true for most things, don't you think?" She responded. It should be. We're not here - I'm not here - right here, in this place, at this time - for the what? The money? The praise of men? Material prosperity? Future retirement? Life of ease? Perfect health? Personal satisfaction? Me?

Have I not been chosen for more?

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. I Peter 2:9 (emphasis mine)
First Friday October 2009
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. I Corinthians 10:31 "After every time of exaltation, we are brought down with a sudden rush into things as they really are, where it is neither beautiful, poetic, nor thrilling. The height of the mountaintop is measured by the dismal drudgery of the valley, but it is in the valley that we have to live for the glory of God." O. Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, October 2