Friday

Where all beauty comes from...























“The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing…to find the place where all the beauty came from.” ~ C.S. Lewis
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 

And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.

I think of Genesis as I wander about Pollywog Creek these stifling, humid mornings of summer.

The air is heavy, and I'm weighed down by sweat-drenched clothes and dew-soaked sneakers, and I swat at skeeters that nibble my ankles, and sometimes question my sanity as I tip-toe 'round the pond.

I can hear my neighbors now - peeking through the curtains and watching me from a distance. Silly lady with her camera. Whatever does she see out there in the wet grass and tangle of vines along the creek?  

But truthfully, I can't resist. God sprinkled beauty in unlikely places - in mud and grass and on rocks and cypress knees - and I don't want to miss a thing.

It's in the way dangling moss sparkles in the early morning light, and bullfrogs skip across the surface of the pond, and dragonflies with their gossamer wings poise along the barb-wire fence.

It's in mockingbird serenades, and woodpecker fledglings, and perky dandelions dotting the fields.

And I wonder why we call them weeds when God called them good.

(Post from the archives with photos from a very green and dew-sparkled morning earlier this week.)