Monday

And could it not be the hand of the Lord that allows it?

_DSC0063


It begins with a need - an empty place that we fill with "things of this world " - anything - anyone but the One for which the need was created. 

And like all idols - it demands a sacrifice. It takes from us something of greater value - time, peace, contentment....fellowship with the Father.

It's Pastor Eric's message this Sunday morning, and we examine our hearts for the "things of this world" to which we cling...and as we gather in our circle of kindred spirits bound together in the love of Christ, Sam reminds us, "All of it {those idols of our hearts} could all be gone tomorrow."

And could it not be the hand of the Lord that allows it? I wonder. A hard eucharisteo to peel my hands off the good when my heart becomes attached to the gifts - the good things for which I am grateful, but they are not the Giver?
And still He seeks the fellowship of His people and will send them both joy and sorrow to detach their hands from the things of this world and to attach those hands to Himself. ~ J.I. Packer
Overflowing with thankfulness, I count good gifts with Ann in community this day - holding the "things of this world" loosely that I might cling to the Giver - for He alone is worthy.
  • The  Grace that saved a wretch like me
  • The Body of Christ at my church, in my small group, in my community, in my home, in Australia, in Japan, In Venezuela, in Canada and Texas and Colorado and New York and Georgia and Michigan and Illinois and........
  • Iced lattes on my backyard swing
  • A husband who notices the little things and sacrifices much {for me}
  • Glorious, breath-taking, burnt orange sunrises
  • Yellowing, fallish leaves in ninety-degree weather
  • Bacon and egg sandwiches and the love that made them
  • Hugs and kisses
  • A beautiful daughter who carries a heavy load {for me}
  • Access to health care and the medicines I need
  • Strength and grace for the moment
  • The encouragement of friends




So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live your lives in him,
rooted and built up in him,
strengthened in the faith as you were taught,
and overflowing with thankfulness.
~ Colossian 2:6-7 NIV





{Photos} my backyard swing