Friday

Each word a gift...





Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
but only what is helpful for building others up
according to their needs,
that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4.29 (NIV)


We talked about it earlier this week, Emily and I - that passage from Ephesians and the power behind our words to build up and encourage or wound and tear down.  

But God has been showing me that my words not only have the power to hurt others, but to wound my own  heart, sabotage my work, and worse yet - undermine and cheapen God's gifts in me.
You're too old. 
A wannabe-psalmist-with-a-camera? Really?
Who do you think you are?
Please hear my heart in this. I'm not trying to be humble or scheming for compliments. I've an abundance of cheerleaders in my life, and I get it. Thank you - each of you - a million times over. Your encouragement  spurs me on and gives glory and honor to the Giver of all that is good in me.   

My problem isn't you, it's me. 

When I disqualify my gifts in how I lack confidence to walk in them or speak {and think} falsely about them, I am denying the work of Christ in me - to equip and gift me for His glory. 


For we are his workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand,
that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 2:10 ESV




Say only what helps, each word a gift.

What about you? Have you been gifting yourself with words that help or have you been speaking unkindly and undermining your gifts? 



{Photos} it's spring-like in January in my Pollywog Creek backyard {My Project 366 photos are here.}