Tuesday

On Being Grand...
























My middle son Casey tells me that one day he's going to write a book: The Things My Mother Never Told Me. First on the list, he teases, is my failure to prepare him for a newborn baby's first messy diaper.

Sorry about that, I tell him. Some things just have to be experienced - even the most delightful.

My mother could not have prepared me for the joy of being a grand. I wouldn't have believed her if she'd told me that at this stage in life Legos and toys would be at the top of my wish-list, and that I wouldn't even mind sleeping on the too-small, lumpy futon if it meant the grands could come for a sleepover.

Homeschooling and teacher friends? Don't tell me one day that I didn't tell you. If grandlittles are part of God's plan for your life, you'll wish you held onto a few good toys, and lots of books and games, because teacher mamas never need to retire. 
Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children...
Deuteronomy 4:9 ESV
Related: Letter from Mimi's Backyard

{Photos from two weeks ago: a Gavin sleepover, a pretty moth, and gathering sticks for our November Thanksliving Tree - made with a bundle of sticks in a gallon glass jar stuffed with raffia, and a tag for each of to record our "thanks"}