Saturday

Still like a hummingbird...

2013-07-05

A hummingbird's heart can beat 1200 times a minute as she flutters about in search of the food required for her super-high metabolism, so I'm surprised when I find this female ruby-throated frequently perched on a bare branch atop the firebush in my Pollywog Creek backyard.

I learn that's not unusual. In fact, the hummingbird spends as much time resting, preening, and staking out her territory as she does hovering over her food sources and performing her mesmerizing aerial acrobatics.

So I look at the busy hummingbird in the light of Jesus' words.

Look at the birds of the air:
they neither sow nor reap 
nor gather into barns, 
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. 
Are you not of more value than they?
Matthew 6:26, ESV

Today I will cease fluttering about and rest still in the more-than-enough provisions the Father lovingly gives.