Thursday

Why I want to be a rock star...

DSC_0096


DSC_0186


DSC_0014

As I listened to Ann Voskamp's powerful keynote at Allume this past weekend, I was reminded of something I'd written a couple of years ago; and I was convicted by both Ann's message and my own words, because none of us are immune from the temptation to be influenced by the world's standards of "stardom" and success. For my benefit, if for no one else, here is that slightly edited post {with new photos} from my archives.

Some of my favorite people are rock stars. I want to be a rock star, too.


The rock stars I know cook, teach, visit the home-bound, write lovely letters, challenge creativity, and love on and care for the needy right where they live.

They write books and posts that stir up love and good deeds, and pour out love and grace into the lives of others. 

They sing joyfully, laugh heartedly, wipe dirty noses, craft quilts, listen to one, speak to thousands, love the unlovely, kiss boo-boos and fevered brows, sponsor children, paint and capture beauty, and pray and wash feet where no one but Jesus can see. 

They pull weeds, change dirty diapers, scrub toilets, crochet prayer shawls, knit socks, and encourage everyone wherever God takes them. 

And  they do it without a grumble.

They are rock stars - who stand on the Rock to Shine like a Star - loving, giving, writing and speaking the words of life to which they hold.  
"Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation. Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life." ~ Philippians 2.14-15a NIV