Thursday

Summer::June in a sun-scorched land...
































If the beginning of summer 2005 wasn't crazy busy enough, I decided to start a blog.  

I'd read that blogging was an excellent way for writers to practice and hone their skills, and though I had not even read a blog yet, the concept appealed to me. As Emily's homeschooling year was coming to an end and we prepared for both Nick and Casey's graduations from college and weddings two months apart, I began what I naively thought was a private journal--thankfully on a platform that no longer exists.  

Twelve summers, six grandchildren, and a dramatically different blog and life season later, I'm beyond grateful for the numerous creative opportunities and the diverse and rich relationships that blogging has made possible. And though there's been nothing predictable about my postings in the midst of this transformational season, I have no desire to withdraw entirely from creating in this small space for whoever happens to find me here.

Today, I offer a glimpse of June--a month that began with a pond-fishing birthday for 5 year old Tyler and concluded with a glorious beach sunset.  It's no secret that I'm not fond of summer with its heat and humidity, but there's no denying the beauty and the delight of being with those I love that I would clearly miss if I never wander outside.   

June brought the last of the wild butterfly orchids in the live oaks near the creek, crepe myrtle and firebush, night-blooming jasmine and honeysuckle vines, a white-eyed vireo and a mockingbird, all-star baseball tournaments for 5 year old Wyatt and 11 year old Mason, rain-drenched cypress around the pond and wildflowers in the thickets, baseball camp and a birthday for Mason...and so much more. 
The LORD will guide you always, he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
~Isaiah 58:11