Saturday

The Blue Jay...

DSC03866
No brigadier throughout the year So civic as the jay. A neighbor and a warrior too, With shrill felicity ~ from The Blue Jay by Emily Dickinson DSC03868 DSC03861
Shrill is right. The blue jays loud, harsh "jeer" is unmistakable, and her aggressive behavior at the feeders can often overshadow her stunning beauty. I'm no "lovely blue jay", but I'm reminded of the proverb that says...
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.
...and this verse from I Peter 3...
let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
If God chooses to adorn me with beautiful blue "feathers" - awesome, but I'm praying today for discretion and a gentle and quiet spirit.