Saturday

Letter from Mimi's Backyard::Week Two

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."  ~ Luke 12:32
My Dear Little Flock,

Imagine me giving you a big hug and kiss, because that is exactly what I would do if I could see you right this very minute.

I have been very excited about writing to you this week. When I was walking outside one morning, I thought I saw a turtle swimming in the pond, but it wasn't a turtle at all. It was a big green and yellow bullfrog.

Every day I went outside several times a day looking for that bullfrog so I could take his picture for you, but every time I got close to the pond, it would jump into the water with a big splash before I could even see it.
If I walked very, very slowly around the pond, I might be able to get close enough to see a bullfrog sitting in the mud at the edge of the pond, but if I made even the tiniest sound or moved too quickly, the bullfrog would jump into the pond and out of sight.

Over the week I think I saw at least four different bullfrogs in our pond. Can you count these four frogs, Mason? What about you, Gavin? Can you count them, too?


4 frogs


Papa and Auntie Em must think that your Mimi is very silly to be walking around the pond several times a day like a big bird looking for food. One week I will have to tell you about the herons - those big birds with long legs that walk very, very slowly in the shallow water looking for fish and frogs to eat.

We will talk more about bullfrogs and herons another week. Today I wanted to tell you about the dragonflies I saw this week. They were everywhere - in the pasture, along the creek bank and around the pond. Lots of dragonflies, and I think they are beautiful. If the sun is shining on them just right, their wings sparkle in the sunlight. There are over 100 different sizes, shapes and colors of dragonflies in Florida. Here are some of the dragonflies I saw this week on Pollywog Creek..


DSC00004

DSC09992



6-13-09middaywalk
6-13-09middaywalk2



I told you there were lots of dragonflies. Look at those eyes...


dragonflyeyes

dragonflyeyes2


Which one of those dragonflies do you like the best?


Do you know what I like best about dragonflies? They like to eat mosquitoes, and I do NOT like mosquitoes.


Have you ever watched a dragonfly fly in the air? Sometimes they look like they are flying perfectly still, then they suddenly take off in a hurry. They can also fly backwards. God was very creative when he made dragonflies, wasn't He?


That makes me think of the song "All Things Bright and Beautiful" that I learned in church when I was a little girl. Some of the words to that song are:
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all. He gave us eyes to see them, And lips that we might tell, How great is God Almighty, Who has made all things well.
God made bullfrogs and dragonflies, and He made you, too. God is great and God is good.
Did you color your butterfly page last week? I'd love to see it if you did.

I have made a dragonfly coloring page for you this week. Give your mom a hug and tell her that she can print a larger coloring page for you by clicking on the picture below.



dragonflycoloringpage

Can you think of some ways that butterflies and dragonflies are the same?


Can you also think of some ways that butterflies and dragonflies are different?


It's time for me to go look for bullfrogs again, so I better say goodbye for now. What ever you do, don't ever, ever forget...



I love you A bushel and a peck A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!



BIG Hugs and Kisses,
Mimi





Resources for Further Study and Enrichment All Things Bright And Beautiful, illustrated by Pauline Baynes The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones, "The Story and The Song" p. 12-17, "The beginning: a perfect home" p. 18-27
Pond & River - Eyewitness Books - "Dragonflies and damselflies", p. 48-49 Odonata - damselflies and dragonflies
A Beginner's Guide to DRAGONFLIES
Dragonflies - Designed to Dart


~ Letter from Mimi's Backyard::Introduction