Wednesday

"I'm going out to see my Father's world."...

DSC00056

Following his Syracuse University education and theological training at Auburn Theological Seminary, Maltbie Babcock became the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Lockport, New York, in 1882. 

Untitled

Maltbie had been an outstanding athlete in college, and he delighted in running and hiking through the beautiful countryside during his pastorate in Lockport.
 
Rusy Lyonia blossoms

As he left for a run or hike, he was known to say, "I'm going out to see my Father's world."

DSC00094

Before Maltbie left Lockport in 1887, to pastor the Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, Maryland, he wrote a poem with sixteen stanzas - each beginning with the words, "This is My Father's World."
 
DSC00109

Maltbie was just 42 years old when on May 18, 1901, he died of a bacterial infection en-route to the Holy Land - the trip a gift from the Brick Presbyterian Church in New York City where he was pastoring at the time.

DSC00099


That same year, Maltbie's writings, including the lovely hymn "This Is My Father's World", were compiled by his wife and published into a book entitled Thoughts for Everyday Living.

School Days by Maltbie Davenport Babcock Lord, let me make this rule, To think of life as school, And try my best To stand each test, And do my work, And nothing shirk. Should someone else outshine This dullard head of mine, Should I be sad? I will be glad. To do my best, Is Thy behest. If weary with my book, I cast a wistful look Where posies grow, O let me know That flowers within Are best to win. Dost take my book away Anon to let me play, And let me out To run about? I grateful bless Thee for recess.