Saturday

In the quiet...



...with an unusual abundance of contemplative moments - from backyard swinging to waiting room sitting - I've been reading and studying and listening and wondering.

And sometimes carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders.



Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

~ Helen Lemmel


The "things of earth" can be heartbreakingly heavy at times.

As David Murray recently wrote in I'm suffering from sorrow overload, not only do we care about hurting people around us that we know and love well, technology brings an awareness of pain and brokenness and grief beyond our reach - and often I'm burdened by long lists of suffering people.

Sorrow overload, indeed.



When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.

~ Psalm 34:17


In My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers wrote...
It is actually more important to be broken bread and poured-out wine in the area of intercession than in our personal contact with others.
And so I do the only thing I can with such sorrow - confident that my prayers are heard - I place these long lists of suffering people before the Lord - knowing that He is good and just and faithful and strong and mighty to save.  




And I pray I'll keep my eyes on Jesus - His mercies, His glory, His grace - and opportunities to be broken bread and poured-out wine in a season of contemplative moments.




(The grasshopper is for you, dear Allie.)