Saturday

Weekends {are for} wanderings...






~ with photos that didn't make the cut

One of my mother's favorite adages was that growing older ain't for sissies. And I must admit that lately I've been a bit of a sissy.

I abandoned the RA blog months ago, but posted an update last night for inquiring minds and because I forget everything I don't write down. You only have my permission to read it, though, if you promise you won't take pity on me. Pray, yes. Pity, no. 99.99% of the time I'm totally at peace with God's overwhelming love for me and His sovereignty in all things that concern me. I've simply had a few .01% feeling hopeless moments in a temporary bump-in-the-road season. Things will get better - I'm sure of it.

~ ~ ~

Earlier this week I made a super-easy perfectly delightful summertime dessert - inspired by Martha Stewart's strawberries and cream bars. Unfortunately, we ate every last bite before I even thought about taking a photo.

The recipe calls for 6 cups of strawberries, but after Emily made strawberry/banana/yogurt smoothies, we only had 3 cups of strawberries left. So I halved the sugar and froze it in an 8-inch square pan. I only had to stir it twice in the freezer before adding the topping, and because I had almost a full container of cool whip in the fridge, I used that instead of making the whipped cream topping the recipe calls for. It doesn't get any easier. 

It does melt quickly after removing from the freezer, so be sure to eat it as soon as it's cut and served.

~ ~ ~

It's another big "New York Yankees vs the Boston Red Sox" weekend, and I have two ripe avocados in the fridge that would be perfect for making guacamole for the game. 

What's your favorite guacamole recipe?  

Photos: from a short walk down to the creek on Thursday