Monday

A Holy Week "to do" list...

Untitled


I can't explain how it happened. 

Fatigue? Weariness? Forgetfulness? Busyness?

I honestly don't know. But I wake up this Palm Sunday grieved at the awareness that I've failed to embrace a single Lenten practice this year. 

Lenten devotionals were never opened, seasonal decorations remain stored in the large tote in the spare bedroom - mostly untouched - and it's already Holy Week and neither my heart nor my home is ready.

I grab an extra notebook as we head out the door for the hour drive to church. And as Louis turns the car toward the highway, I flip the notebook open to a blank page and title it Holy Week "to do" List - and I close my eyes, "What do I do now, Lord?

"Is it too late to fast? To give up something for Lent? To walk beside You on the way to the cross? To fill my home with Easter?

"It's never too late," I hear Him say, "but it's not fasting I want from you, or giving up coffee, or decorating your home. It isn't even lenten devotions."

We pull into the church parking lot and I look over my Holy Week "to do" list before closing the notebook and slipping it next to the Bible in my bag of books. It's not what I had in mind. No cleaning, decorating, shopping or baking - only a column labeled "Giving Up" with things like, irritations, grudges, being easily offended, judging, complaining, wasting time, frowning, anger, independence, discontentment, the need to be right. Ouch.

Pastor Eric's message is on the Lord's Prayer and surrendering to Kingdom principals. And he reminds us me of this: 
Every time we don't surrender {our will}, we believe the lie that our plan is greater than God's.
It's Holy Week Monday, and as I open the stored box of Easter decorations, that Holy Week "to do" list is open on the kitchen counter with a new title: "A Holy Week Surrendering".

In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted,
Burnt offering and sin offering
you have not required.
Then I said, “Behold, I have come;
in the scroll of the book it is written of me:
I delight to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart.”
 
Psalm 40:6-8 ESV
How about you? Have you been intentional to celebrate Lent this year? Do you have a "to do" list for Easter? How has the Lord asked you to sacrifice - to surrender your will to Kingdom principals.