Saturday

To be still and dig deep...

DSC_0075

We're well into summer down here at the edge of the Everglades on Pollywog Creek - when time outdoors means swatting mosquitoes and air so heavy it weighs on you like a wet wool blanket - and yet one morning this week I grabbed my basket of cameras and a Bible and settled down under the shade of the sweetgum trees near the firebush - to be quiet and still and inspired by the bees to dig deep. 

DSC_0075

DSC_0056

I'd watched the firebush buzz with bees earlier in the week. I'd seen how they bury their face and as much of themselves as they can squeeze in and dip deep into the slender orange blossoms - hungry and thirsty for as much sweet nectar as their tongues can reach. And I'm reminded of how I should be in God's Word - putting my whole self into the sweetness and digging deep for every morsel of goodness and truth.

How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!

Psalm 119.103