Friday

So here's what I'm giving up for Lent...

_DSC0023-001

Now before you start worrying about my salvation, let me assure you that there's no need. Jesus is my Savior, Lord and King. I have surrendered my life to him, as best I know how, and I'm in the process of allowing the Holy Spirit to conform me to His image. 

I believe with all my heart that Jesus carried my sins to the cross where he lay down his life as the penalty for every stinkin' one of them {past, present and future} - just as he did for yours.

But here's the thing: I don't always live like it. For instance: I can believe in God's lavish unconditional love for YOU and I'll do all I can to convince you of that truth. But for me...I'm not always so sure.

Because here's the thing: I know me. I know all about me. Acutely aware of my failings - I can wear a cloak of shame til it's slap worn out. And like spinach between my teeth, I can be confident there are places where I'm totally missing the mark that you can see and I don't.

In other words, there are times that I can believe I clearly don't measure up, though I know full well that you do.

So what am I giving up for Lent? I giving up unbelief. Or put another way - I'm giving up the belief in lies about me that I know aren't true about you. 

When faced with doubts about who I am - believing anything contrary to Truth - I'm in danger of creating an idol.   
approved
If I truly believe that the righteous flourish like the palm tree....[and] still bear fruit in old age, I won't believe I'm too old to be used.

If I live out the truth that the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart, then I won't believe that my reflection in the mirror is a reflection of my worth.
Collages24
If I truly believe that I'm loved for who I am and not for what I do, then I won't believe I'm loved for my photography {or my banana chocolate-chip muffins} or fear not being loved if I can't or don't live up to the expectations of others.
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20
Giving up unbelief isn't really giving up anything at all - except doubt, fear, worry, insecurity, perfectionism, envy, comparison...the list is endless. 

So - I'm giving up unbelief for Lent. 

And I've joined Jennifer Dukes Lee's Love Idol Movement and following her Love Idol posts {just wait til you see what Jennifer gave up for Lent} and I've pre-ordered a copy of her book Love Idol to give away here on Pollywog Creek after it's released on April 1st.