Tuesday

Free time::Part III...

one of the flowering weeds
"If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction." ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I love my iPod. I have had the opportunity to burn up a large chunk of "free time" in the waiting room of doctor's offices more than once this past week. I'm sure everyone knows exactly what I mean. I'm not complaining. Really. I worked in a doctor's office once and I know that there are many distractions begging for the doctor's time and attention that throw them off their office schedules, so I never complain (to the staff, anyway) when I'm forced to wait. What I don't like about waiting in doctor's waiting rooms is the boredom of just sitting there with little more to do than read all the gossip, boating, fishing and working mom magazines every doctor's office obviously subscribes to. Depending on the mixture of other people in the waiting room, it is usually too difficult for me to concentrate on writing or reading a good book. I've tried. Even worse is when I am called back to an exam room to wait even longer alone - with nothing more than brochures about diseases and procedures I'd rather not know about. No more. Last week I took my iPod with me and was able to listen to over half of "The Cost of Freedom", a 3 CD Focus on the Family Radio Theatre performance on the life of Bonhoeffer while waiting to see the doctor. I purchased my set over ten years ago when the boys were much younger, but had forgotten much of it. If you and your family have not listened to this performance, I highly recommend doing so. I don't believe that I could have used my waiting room time more wisely. Yesterday, while waiting I listened to the latest Francis Chan podcast on suffering. That might not have been the best subject for the doctor's office, though. There is more "free time" in waiting rooms for me in the future. I'd love to hear your suggestions for using that time wisely.