Thursday

Letter from Mimi's Backyard::Week Three

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." ~ Luke 12:32
My Dear Little Flock, Last week Mason was busy with his daddy and celebrating a birthday while Gavin was having fun in Georgia, so I waited two whole weeks to write to you again. It wasn't easy, either, because Auntie Em and I did something that I could hardly wait to tell you about.

First, I want to show you some of the things we saw around Pollywog Creek last week...
Can you name some of the animals in those pictures?

I saw a mockingbird singing on the branch of an oak tree, a white caterpillar crawling up the rusted fence, a bullfrog getting ready to leap into the pond, a lizard watching from the top of a cypress tree knee, a bunny rabbit hopping in the green grass, and a dragonfly on the barb-wire fence.

It has been rainy and hot and sticky on Pollywog Creek, and I have not been outside as much as I would like to be when it is not rainy and hot and sticky. But when I do go outside, I am always amazed at the beautiful and interesting things I find creeping and crawling and hopping and growing....just like you. But do you know what makes you different than all those animals? God made you to be one of His children and to love you more than everything else He ever made.

Do you remember when I used to sing "Jesus Loves the Little Children" to you as you were falling asleep? I would sing it like this...
Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world

Red and yellow black and white,
they are precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world
Mason Thomas Jackson, too,
he is precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

or...

Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world
Gavin Nicholas, too,
he is precious in His sight
Jesus loves the little children of the world.
What I couldn't wait to tell you about is the "little children of the world" that Emily and I saw in a concert a couple of weeks ago. These beautiful children from Uganda are part of the African Children's Choir that travels all over the world singing about God.

DSC00059

They were full of energy.... 

DSC00080

...and always on the move. 

DSC00125

It was hard to take a good photograph of them because they were seldom still. 

DSC00104

They wore colorful clothing... 

DSC00095

...and beautiful smiles.

  DSC00121

We loved every one of the songs they sang, but "You Are The Shepherd" was my favorite. Here is a video of some of the children from the African Children's Choir rehearsing "You Are The Shepherd".
Isn't that a pretty song? It might not have been easy to understand all the words, so I copied them for you here... 
  You Are The Shepherd 
by Keith and Kristyn Getty 
You are the Shepherd 
I belong to You 
When I walk on rough ground 
You can guide me through 
You know my name 
You know my voice 
Before I was born 
I was your choice 
Show me how to follow 
Lord keep me close to You 
You are the Shepherd 
I belong to You 
Open eyes to see 
You are the Way 
Open ears to hear 
You are the Truth 
Open heart to know 
You are the Lord of life 
For every land 
You hold a special plan 
Open eyes to see 
You are the Way 
Open ears to hear 
You are the Truth 
Open heart to know 
You are the Lord of life 
For every land 
You hold a special plan 
2002 Thankyou Music MCPS

Did you hear that? It's true. God knows your name. He knows your voice. And He chose you to be one of His children before you were even born. 

Don't ever forget that Jesus loves you and so do Papa and Mimi. We love you BIGGIE bunches...a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck! XOXOXO Mimi

Resources for Further Study and Enrichment
African Children's Choir
The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones, "The Good Shepherd" p. 130-135
Little Lips Shall Praise Thee by Emily Hunter "You Are Our Good Shepherd", p. 50 and "You Love All Children Everywhere", p. 51
~ Letter from Mimi's Backyard::Introduction