Monday

It's never too late...


We sweetened our tea and passed the bowl of grapes and the plate of prosciutto, and Patti, who'd planned every detail, opened her Bible.


I read the article you linked to, Patti glanced at me across the table, and thought I would read a few verses while we're together around this table. 

I smiled knowingly as she continued, Sometimes I wish I could raise my children all over again.

I knew what she meant. We wish for a do-over - to take the measure of maturity and wisdom we possess  today and go back and nurture our children again. But we can't, and regretting the past wastes precious time we have now. 

But it's never too late to change what we do today.

My boys are grown with families of their own, I tell Patti, and though Emily still lives at home, she's an independent young adult. When I shared Ann's article with Louis, he agreed that it's a discipline we should practice. We bring our Bibles to the supper table, and after we eat our food, we read a chapter aloud every day - even if it's only the two of us. We've read James, Colossians and now we're in Thessalonians." I continued. "It really isn't too late to begin doing today what we wish we had known to do years ago."

Finding the passage she was looking for, Patti read, and before we left the table, we'd eaten of the true Bread and were satisfied with all things good...
I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them. Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Oh, fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.


The glory of bread is that it satisfies.
~ John Piper - A Godward Life
Thank you, Ann (without an e) - you are a gift, and I give thanks to God always for you.