Friday

What gives me courage...

2012-08-02

There's a place for healthy or respectful fear in my life - I do, after all, live in a lightning capital. It would be foolish to wander about Pollywog Creek as a storm approaches. The first roll of thunder and I'm inside before lightning can flash.  

But overcoming paralyzing, unhealthy fear has been one of my greatest challenges - fears fueled by deep insecurities and memories of real life-threatening, terrorizing experiences.  

I'm not fond of pain {or insects}, but there's something about holding my camera that gives me the courage to approach potentially painful things I'd otherwise avoid. 

It reminds me of how it's been with overcoming fear - how I've learned to pick up God's word put it between me and whatever is making me fearful, and the courage His word gives me to be bold and strong.

The verses God has given me are too numerous to mention, but one of the first verses I held close was this: 

In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 4.8 ESV
What gives you courage to face your fears?  Is there a particular verse or verses that speak directly to you and your fears? I'd love for you to share them with us here.