Saturday

Still Saturday::He loves ME...

_DSC0007-001

Faded and dog-eared, the pink sticky note's been there at the top of our refrigerator next to the white message board for keeping a running grocery list and just above the Florida's Natural magnet for maybe ten years.

I don't remember when exactly. I don't remember the sermon that inspired it or who put it in my hand as I left church that day. I only remember that I don't ever want to forget that Jesus loves me - poor, pitiful me.
The death of Christ is not only the demonstration of God's love (John 3.16), it is also the supreme expression of Christ's own love for all who receive it as their treasure. The early witnesses who suffered most for being Christians were captured by this fact: Christ "loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2.20). They took the self-giving act of Christ's sacrifice very personally. They said, "He loved me. He gave himself for me."
John Piper, The Passion of Jesus Christ, p.30
(Between February 12th and April 16th (the Wednesday before Easter), I am reading and discussing John Piper's The Passion of Jesus Christ - Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die with a group of friends. From now through Easter, my Still Saturday quotes and I {LOVE} Sunday scriptures will come from my readings in this book by Piper, and the photos might simply be a few favorites from those I've taken during the week.)